Friday, April 25, 2008

Anzac Day

Whilst I don't personally have any Ancestors who faught in any Wars for Australia I do understand the significance of the day. Im first generation Aussie on my fathers side, and 2nd on my mothers. My WW1 ancestor Tom was English and faught with the Royal Field Artillery. He was from Lincolnshire and his father and grandfather were Blacksmiths in a village called Sotby. When I found him it was no surprise to see he was with horses. He died on the 4th April 1917 and is buried in France. I know exactly where and one day I will go there.
Sarah has to do an assignment involving placing herself in the position of a Politician, soldier or parent of soldier during WW1. We decided to transplant Tom to the Australian Army and she will use his name and family names etc. Thought that was a nice touch.
Whilst doing some research for Sarah I stumbled accross this fascinating website WW1: Experiences of an English Soldier This blog is made up of transcripts of Harry Lamin's letters from the first World War. The letters will be posted exactly 90 years after they were written. To find out Harry's fate, follow the blog! The Blog is kept by the Grandson of Harry. It took me a few hours to go back and read and Im now up to date. I couldn't find one of those RSS Feed thingys so I just go there each day and hope there is a new post. I have no idea if he survived the war or not. It wouldn't be hard to find out but I think I will just see what happens each day.

No comments: